Pin on Pinterest
Dealing with Non-Compliant Spouses in Texas

Dealing with Non-Compliant Spouses in Texas Family Law Cases: Knowing Your Rights and Options in Ensuring Compliance with Court Orders and Injunctions

In Texas divorce and family law, dealing with non-compliant spouses who refuse to follow court orders and injunctions can be distressing and complex. When legal mandates are put in place to protect the interests of both parties during a divorce or separation, both spouses must adhere to them. However, when one party disregards these orders, it can lead to significant challenges. This article will explore the best strategies for handling non-compliant spouses in Texas, ensuring compliance with court orders and injunctions. Let's delve into this topic and shed light on protecting your rights and achieving a fair resolution.

Attorney Leslie Barrows at the Barrows Firm in Southlake is often asked for help dealing with all kinds of issues when non-compliant spouses make life difficult. From violating terms of possession schedules to ignoring court orders and injunctions, the enforcement and penalty questions and actions are a high priority.

Many non-primary parents have had their kids for the entire month this July. If you are a parent who shares custody, did you have disagreements with the other parent about orders this summer? Despite even the good faith objection to court orders and injunctions, they still need to be followed, and the legal process of enforcement can be costly to the willfully contemptuous. 

Interesting Social Commentary on Co-Parent Non-Compliance on Quora

Examples of Non-Compliant Conduct in Texas Family Law

  ·   Failure to Pay Child Support or Spousal Support 

   ·   Denying Visitation Rights or Ignoring Possession Schedules 

   ·   Refusing to Follow Court Orders on Custody and Parental Rights and Duties

       o   Pickup and Dropoff Issues 

       o   Who May Be Around the Child

       o   Medications and Healthcare 

       o   Social Media Posts and Comments 

       o   Drinking, Drugs, and Smoking  

  ·   Violating Protective Orders 

  ·   Relocating or Vacationing Without Leave of Court or Co-Parent Permission

  ·   Disregarding Mediation and Parenting Classes and Requirements 

Understanding Court Orders and Injunctions in Texas

Before delving into the solutions for non-compliance, it is essential to understand the significance of court orders and injunctions in Texas family law. Court orders are legally binding directives issued by a judge that specify the rights and responsibilities of each party involved in a divorce or separation case. These orders encompass various aspects, including child custody, visitation, child support, spousal support, and property division.

Injunctions, conversely, are court orders that prevent one or both parties from taking specific actions during the legal process. They are designed to maintain the status quo and prevent potential harm to either party until a final resolution is reached.

In Texas family law, some examples of injunctions might include not having significant others around the children, not drinking or smoking around the children, not posting pictures or videos of the children on social media, or even not dressing the children a certain way. 

Crisis and Trauma Resource Institute: 10 Tips for Dealing with Passive Aggressive People

Open and Clear Communication

The first step in addressing non-compliance is communicating openly and clearly with your spouse. Misunderstandings or miscommunications may sometimes be at the heart of the problem. Reach out to your spouse non-confrontationally, providing them with written documentation of the court order or injunction they fail to follow. Maintaining a respectful tone and avoiding hostility can facilitate productive conversations.

Contacting your attorney to let them know you are having problems allows them to discuss the issue with the opposing counsel. When you get the attorneys involved, their goal is to understand how to help their clients achieve their goals in the situation, and weighing the enforcement options and procedures often leads to discussions that can promote resolution. 

Talking through things can help people separate the emotion and narrow it down to the issues causing problems, often settling on reasonable solutions allowing them to compromise. 

Document All Interactions

Keeping detailed records of all communications with your non-compliant spouse is crucial. Save copies of emails, text messages, and any written correspondence related to the court orders and injunctions. These records can serve as valuable evidence in future legal proceedings to demonstrate your efforts to resolve the matter amicably.

Use the Our Family Wizard applications and additional tools to record communications, information, and dates, so the data can easily be shared among those who need to understand what happened. 

Consult with an Experienced Family Law Attorney

If your attempts at resolving the non-compliance issue directly with your spouse have been unsuccessful, it is time to seek guidance from an experienced family law attorney in Texas. An attorney will provide valuable insights into the best action to enforce court orders and injunctions. They will also help you understand your legal rights and options.

Attorney Leslie Barrows and her team at the Barrows Firm in Southlake are experienced family law attorneys and paralegals who handle non-compliance issues daily and are ready to help you and your family keep a lid on contemptuous co-parents. 

File a Motion for Contempt

When a spouse continues to disregard court orders or injunctions in Texas, you may need to file a motion for contempt. This legal action requests the court to hold the non-compliant spouse accountable for their actions. To ensure the success of the motion, provide clear evidence demonstrating the violation of the court order or injunction. This evidence can include documentation, witness statements, and any relevant communication.

Explore Mediation

Mediation can be an effective alternative to litigation when dealing with non-compliance issues. If your spouse is unwilling to comply with court orders, consider suggesting mediation to resolve the matter. Mediators are neutral third parties who can facilitate open communication and help find mutually agreeable solutions. Opting for mediation can save time, reduce stress, and avoid the expense of going back to court.

Request a Modification

In some cases, a non-compliant spouse may have valid reasons for not following court orders in Texas. If there has been a significant change in circumstances since the court order was issued, such as a job loss or health issues, it might be appropriate to seek a modification of the order. This modification can be either temporary or permanent, depending on the situation.

Dealing with a non-compliant spouse in Texas divorce and family law requires careful navigation and adherence to the legal processes in place. By maintaining clear communication, documenting interactions, and seeking legal counsel, you can protect your rights and work towards a resolution that serves the best interests of all parties involved. Remember that every case is unique, and seeking professional advice from a qualified family law attorney in Texas is essential to ensure your actions align with the state's specific laws and regulations.

For more information, visit or call 817-481-1583.