Grapevine, the city some have dubbed the “Christmas Capital of Texas, “ has a stocking full of fun for residents and guests with more than 1,400 Christmas events during 40-plus days. Whether you’re looking for a night out with the family, an opportunity to enjoy the holiday with someone special or a unique holiday getaway, here are some of the Christmas events and activities going on in Grapevine this season:
1. Christmas shop ‘til you drop – Don’t let the tree be the only thing that sparkles and shines this season. You have a variety of options to choose from as you shop for that special gift in Grapevine.
- From unique shops featuring clothing, jewelry and collectibles to winery tasting rooms to home décor to specialty food items, Historic Downtown Grapevine offers shoppers a chance to locate unique and special gifts. Stores such as Good Things For All Seasons, Chic Boutique, Merry’s Christmas and Clowns, Bermuda Gold, Grapevine Olive Oil Company, Ooh La La and many more will make your shopping list disappear like a plate of Christmas cookies. Bring the kids to make their own ornament at Vetro Glassblowing Studio. Wine fans will love picking up a bottle of wine for that special someone or for a special holiday event from one of Grapevine’s winery tasting rooms.
- From opening at midnight on Thanksgiving night to a variety of exciting holiday events, Grapevine Mills mall offers even the most devoted shopper a truly amazing experience. The 1.6 million square feet of shopping euphoria includes spots such as the recently opened H&M, Saks Fifth Avenue Off 5th, Last Call by Neiman Marcus, Forever 21, New York & Company, Ann Taylor Factory Store, Banana Republic and many more! And don’t miss a chance to shop the fantastic gifts shops of LEGOLAND® Discovery Center and SEA LIFE Grapevine Aquarium, both located at Grapevine Mills. And for a special holiday treat, enjoy Breakfast with Santa at Grapevine Mills mall Dec. 15 and 22.
2. Ride the Rails on the North Pole Express – Ride the rails with your family aboard the North Pole Express! See the magic of the season unfold as children of all ages and adults alike experience this classic Grapevine event. This approximately one-hour expanded experience with added activities includes a ride on a historic train, pre-boarding holiday fun, Santa, a journey through the Christmas tree maze, ornament making, caroling and more. Don’t forget to wear your special Christmas pajamas! Tickets are $18 per person and are on sale now. Children 2 and under can sit on an adult’s lap but must have a complimentary ticket to board. The North Pole Express runs Dec. 7, 8, 9, 14, 15, 16, 21, 22 and 23. Grapevine Vintage Railroad is located at 705 S. Main St.
3. Chill Out at ICE! featuring DreamWorks’ “Merry Madagascar” during Lone Star Christmas at the Gaylord Texan Resort – The ICE! winter holiday attraction returns with an all-new, hilarious theme: ICE! featuring DreamWorks’ “Merry Madagascar™." From Nov. 9 to Jan. 1, see all your favorite characters including Alex, Marty, Melman and Gloria carved from more than two million pounds of ice. You’ll be delighted as these colorful creations set the perfect holiday mood.
And while at the Gaylord Texan Resort, don’t miss Kung Fu Panda Awesome Snow Tubing. Open daily Nov. 9 to Jan. 1, experience an extreme eight-lane tubing hill that’s covered in real snow. Watch your children smile and sparkle at Lone Star Christmas at the Gaylord Texan Resort. This winter wonderland includes 1.5 million holiday lights, a 52-foot rotating Christmas tree, a life-sized Gingerbread House, 12,000 ornaments and Santa Claus. Christmas hotel packages are available. Visit www.gaylordtexan.com for ticket prices and times.
4. Musicals, Movies and Magical Moments at the Palace Theatre – From country to classic Christmas, Grapevine is the place to be for all your holiday entertainment. Set in the beautiful setting of the restored Palace Theatre in Historic Downtown Grapevine, you’ll delight at all of the spectacular Christmas music and movie offerings.
· Texas Tenors – It’s a return engagement for the Texas Tenors at Grapevine’s Palace Theatre! Audiences will be amazed at this terrific trio, most well-known for their amazing journey on America’s Got Talent. Mixing country and classical music with their own Texas Tenor flavor, this beloved group will bring Christmas audiences to their feet. Tickets $25. Dece. 13, 14, 16, 20, 21 and 22 at 7:30 p.m. For more information, call 817-410-3100.
· Classic Christmas Movies – There’s no better place to watch a classic Christmas movie than a classic theatre in a historic downtown! For example, see the experience of George Bailey in “It’s a Wonderful Life.” After the movie, stroll Main Street and experience Grapevine’s version of Bedford Falls. Tickets $5 per person. Shows include:
“A Christmas Story” – December 5 and 10, 7 p.m., December 19, 1 p.m.
“It’s a Wonderful Life” – December 11, 17 and 23, 7 p.m.
“Miracle on 34th Street” – December 12 and 19, 7 p.m.
“A Charlie Brown Christmas”/ “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” – December 17, 21 and 22, 1 p.m.
Classic Cartoon Day – December 20, 1 p.m.
- Grapevine Opry – Tap your toes to the sounds of Christmas with the Grapevine Opry at the Palace Theatre. All shows start at 7:30 p.m. Group discounts are available.
- A Texas Christmas – December 7, $25 per person
- Letters from Santa – December 8, $25 per person
- Christmas Wonderland – December 15, $25 per person
- New Year’s Country Eve – December 31, $25 per person
5. Play reindeer games with Santa – Step back in time this season at Christmas on Main! See Victorian-style buildings dressed up with ribbons, bows and wreaths and set aglow with twinkling lights. Watch jolly Christmas characters, including Santa on stilts, play reindeer games, experience the glass workshop at Vetro Glassblowing Studio, enjoy tractor-drawn wagon rides ($1 per person, per ride) and spot beautiful decorations adorning Historic Downtown Grapevine’s Main Street. Dec. 7, 8, 9, 14, 15, 16, 21, 22 and 23. Fridays1 – 6 p.m.; Saturdays 11 a.m. – 6 p.m. and Sundays 1 – 6 p.m.
6. Christmas for grown-ups –The Christmas Wine Trains offer a great grownup escape from all of the Christmas hustle and bustle! This fun evening begins with a reception at 7 p.m. in the Cotton Belt Railroad District, followed by boarding at 7:30 p.m. Each train features a different Grapevine winery and winery representatives will be on board. Wine will be available for purchase on the train. Tickets are $36 per person. Riders must be 21 and over. Dec. 13 and 20 at 7 p.m. Visit www.gvrr.com or call 817-410-3385.
7. Parade of Lights – Bring the entire family to the Parade of Lights in Historic Downtown Grapevine Dec. 6 at 7 p.m. The largest lighted Christmas parade in North Texas, this Grapevine tradition features more than 100 lighted floats and marching bands. Look for Santa Claus on the last float! This event is free.
8. Sparkling Nights and Twinkling Lights – Twinkling lights abound at the Light Show Spectacular in the heart of Historic Downtown Grapevine. This brilliantly-colored show runs continuously from 6 p.m. – 11 p.m. nightly starting Nov. 20. Sing along with the city’s Christmas tree, enjoy the lights and see the joy on the faces of everyone in the family as you watch this show at the Town Square Gazebo. This event is free.
9. Happy Howl-idays at Great Wolf Lodge – Take a visit to the North Woods in Grapevine at the Great Wolf Lodge’s Snowland! And don’t miss visits from Santa, North Pole University for Elves in Cub Club, holiday carol sing-alongs, the life-size Gingerbread House, Santa's workshop, writing depot, wrapping depot, toy creation station, Polar Wolf Walk, Great Clock Tower holiday snow show, nightly story time, Rowdy the Reindeer and a Polar Bear Race inside the 84-degree indoor water park. Dec. 1 – 25.
10. Build your Holly Jolly Holidays at LEGOLAND® Discovery Center and SEA LIFE Grapevine Aquarium – Check out Scuba Santa at SEA LIFE Grapevine Aquarium, Dec. 5, 8, 12, 15, 19 and 22. You’ll be amazed to see Santa swimming among some of the most beautiful creatures of the sea. And check out all the holiday fun at LEGOLAND® Discovery Center Dec. 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 and 22.
11. It’s a Cold Hearted Christmas– It’s Christmas-themed live theatre at Texas Star Dinner Theatre’s production of Cold Hearted Christmas Fridays and Saturdays Nov. 23 – Dec. 29 and Thursdays, Dec. 6 – 20. Show, dinner and dessert are included. $55 per person.
Holiday hotel packages are available. For additional information, please contact the Grapevine Convention & Visitors Bureau at 800-457-6338 or 817-410-8136 or visit www.GrapevineTexasUSA.com/Christmas.
Story courtesy of the Grapevine Convention & Visitors Bureau