Pin on Pinterest

In a battle that could only be described as even, the Dragons returned to their winning ways to outlast #5 Coppell Friday night at Coppell Middle School.  In a game featuring seven ties, the Dragons ultimately prevailed and held on for a thrilling 8-7 win.  

As has been the case most of the season, the Dragons scored first, this time it was Senior midfielder Connor Harryman. Midway through the first quarter Coppell answered back and then took a 2-1 lead with goals by Senior Attackman Nicholas Hruby.  With just 10 seconds remaining on the clock, Dragon Senior Attackman Bryce Wasserman eyed the clock while running on a breakaway.  With an uncanny sense of timing, he buried the tying goal just as the quarter ended.

Wasserman scored his second goal for a 3-2 Dragon lead. Hruby completed his hat trick to pull the Cowboys even at 3 all.  Just before the end of the half the Dragons pulled off the hidden ball play to regain the lead. 

Freshman Attackman Casey Wasserman faked a short hand-off pass behind the goal, but instead kept the ball and slowly came out on the right side of the goal and then buried his shot to put the Dragons ahead 4-3 at the half.

Coppell rallied in the second half.  Maybe Coach Alex Poole reminded his squad of the five consecutive years that Coppell had dominated the series- winning by an average of over 8 goals in those wins.  The Seniors may also have been inspired by their half-time recognition along with their parents.  Whatever it was, it worked and both teams were soon knotted at 4 each on another goal by Hruby.

Junior midfielder Michael Cox put momentum back to the Dragons’ favor with a blistering shot that found the upper left corner to regain a 5-4 lead.

After Junior midfielder Ben Dodson tied it up yet again, Senior Attackman Tim Barnhart created an opportunity and with his score the Dragons went back up 6-5.  Then, in a play reminiscent of the first quarter ending, Coppell Senior David Haddock scored with little time on the clock and both teams went to their benches with 6 goals.

The Wasserman brothers connected on the first score of the 4th quarter when the younger Casey stepped back into a passing lane and intercepted Coppell’s clearing attempt.  He promptly moved forward and found his older sibling with a crisp pass and Bryce’s goal created a hat trick for him and a 7-6 Dragon lead. 

Connor Harryman tallied his second goal, and for the first time, the Dragons had a 2-goal lead as Coppell went to a man advantage with over 10 minutes remaining. Coppell worked quickly and Hruby scored again with 9:51 left in the game.

Both teams went up and down the field and with just over 2 minutes left, Dragon Head Coach Bart Sullivan called a time out and the Dragons discussed their plans to hold onto the ball and run out the clock.   

Coppell repossessed the ball and called time out with 27 seconds left.  With a number of bodies swarming in front of the goal, Freshman Goalie Luke Millican kept the Cowboy shot in his sights, making the save to secure the Dragon win.

The Dragons (7-7 overall, 3-4 District) have one game remaining against #9 ranked Allen (10-6,2-5) on Wednesday at Dragon Stadium. The winner will claim the last remaining spot in the North Division playoffs.  Coppell (11-4, 4-4) will await the results of Wednesday’s night game to see if they will be the fifth or sixth seed.

Senior Night Game Details: Lady Dragons honor their seniors at 5:30 p.m. and follow with a 6 p.m. game vs. Flower Mound.  The Boys will honor their seniors in a ceremony just prior to their 8 p.m. game with Allen.  Games are at Dragon Stadium and all admission and parking is free.